domingo, janeiro 04, 2009

Quoting Emma

Ahhh... as maravilhas de um bom romance, que só Jane Austen escreve para você!
Sonhos, sorrisos, borboletas no estômago, seja em Jane Fairfax & Frank Churchill, Harriet Smith & Robert Martin ou Emma Woodhouse & George Knightley.

...

"Mr. Weston's ball was to be a real thing. A very few tomorrows stood between the young people of Highbury and happiness." p. 207

"Me oft has fancy, ludicrous and wild,
Sooth'd with a waking dream of houses, tow'rs,
Trees, churches, and strange visages, express'd
In the red cinders, with with poring eye
I gaz'd, myself creating what I saw." p.224

"I cannot make speeches, Emma:" - he soon resumed; and in a tone of such sincere, decided, intelligible tenderness as was tolerably convincing. - "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more. But you know what I am. - You hear nothing but truth from me. - I have blamed you, and lectured you, and you have borne it as no other woman in England would have borne it. - Bear with the truths I would tell you now, dearest Emma, as well as you have borne with them. The manner, perhaps, may have as little to recommend them. God knows, I have been a very indifferent lover. - But you understand me. - Yes, you see, you understand my feelings - and will return them if you can. At present, I ask you only to hear, once to hear your voice." p.282

"Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised, or a little mistaken; but where, as in this case, though the conduct is mistaken, the feelings are not, it may not be very material. - Mr. Knightley could not impute to Emma a more relenting heart than she possessed, or a heart more disposed to accept of his." p.283

"He had found her agitated and low. - Frank Churchill was a villain. - He heard her declare that she had never loved him. Frank Churchill's character was not desperate. - She was his own Emma, by hand and word, when they returned into the house; as if he could have thought of Frank Churchill then, he might have deemed him a very good sorf of fellow." p.284

Nenhum comentário: